Company Name __________________________ Job Name __________________________ Date________
POWDER-ACTUATED HAND TOOLS
Whenever you operate a powder-actuated hand tool, safe work practices must always
be followed. These tools are designed to fire nails or fastening devices into
material not easily penetrated such as concrete, steel, and masonry.
Unfortunately, they have also been known to fire nails and fastening devices
into human flesh.
- Only qualified persons who have been trained and certified by an authorized
instructor should use a powder-actuated tool!
- Persons using the tools should always have their certification card with
GENERAL SAFETY RULES FOR USE:
- A powder-actuated tool must never be pointed at anyone, whether it is
loaded or not!
- A powder-actuated tool should never be loaded until it is ready to be used
- The tool should be tested each day prior to use, to assure that safety
devices and the tool itself are in proper working condition.
- Any defective or poorly working tool should be immediately removed
from service and tagged as unsafe..
- Always wear proper protective equipment when operating powder-actuated
- ANSI-approved eye protection must be worn to guard against possible
materials. Hearing protection must also be worn.
- Powder-actuated tools should not be used in areas where flammable or
combustible atmospheres may be present. The combination could cause an
- When operating a powder-actuated tool, press the tool firmly against
the surface into which the fastening device is being driven, so the fastener
will not glance off the surface.
- Never drive a fastener into a "spalled" or chipped surface, i.e.,
over an uneven area where a previous fastening was unsatisfactory.
- Do not drive fasteners into easily penetrated material unless that
material is backed by an object that will prevent the fastener from passing
completely through the material and creating a flying missile hazard on the
- Never shoot into a surface unless you are certain it will contain
the fastener. Take whatever time is necessary to examine both the surface and
the opposite side, assuring your safety as well as the safety of others.
Safe operation of powder-actuated tools demands knowledge and the operator's
constant alertness. Too many innocent workers have been fatally injured when
safety practices were disregarded.
Therefore, before each use of a powder-actuated tool, a complete study of the
job task should be assessed and total concentration should be on the job task to
Powder-actuated tools are only as safe as their operators! WORK SAFELY!
Job Specific Topics:_______________________________________________________________________________________