Company Name __________________________ Job Name __________________________ Date________
Do you look at machine guards as a hindrance to doing your job? Do you often think, if only that guard wasn't there, I could do my job easier and faster? If you do, take what might be the last look at your hands.
Statistics reveal that three out of every ten lost-time injuries involve the hands and arms and almost ten percent of all disabling injuries are caused by machinery. While machine guards cannot prevent all injuries to the hands, guards do prevent many accidents that in the past have crippled or maimed.
Guards are designed to protect, not hinder. They are engineered to provide as much protection as possible, even to machine operators who take chances or who are distracted while on the job.
Machine guards protect against direct contract with moving parts, flying chips, kickbacks, and splashing of metal or corrosive liquids. Guards are also used for machine operator protection in the event of a mechanical or electrical failure.
A guard cannot be effective without the cooperation of the person operating the machine. It is very important that anyone working with or around machinery understands the following general safety rules.
- Before operating machinery always check to be sure that the proper guards are in place and in good condition.
- No machine should be operated without guards in place.
- If guards are defective or missing, report this unsafe condition to your supervisor, IMMEDIATELY.
- Only authorized personnel should make guard adjustments.
- Guards should never be adjusted or removed unless authorized by your supervisor.
- When guards are removed for adjustment or repair, the main power switch for the machine should be locked in the off position.
Remember, safe guards are installed on machinery to protect your safety and health. If they are to protect you effectively, they must be position and maintained in good condition.
Job Specific Topics:_______________________________________________________________________________________